Monday, October 09, 2006

In Which, Due To A Severely Boring Weekend, I Expound On Gun Control (Or The Lack There-Of) In The US, My Home

This weekend, I swear, I only left this building twice. Once to buy tea at Harvey Nichols for Bro's friends Ben and Hudson, and once to walk to the Watershed to order pizza (which I had been craving for weeks now). I ate a lot of pizza. A lot.

Otherwise, I spent a lot of time in my room pretending to study. But there is no reasonable explanation as to why it took me two whole days to read approximately sixty pages. Certainly they were dry, all about new-right political thought - public-choice theory and the Austrian school. Today, I started the chapter on rational-choice theory. But, embarassingly, I have no clue what these things mean. My intellect has yet to really be turned on.

Otherwise, I've spent the past several days being rather disgusted at the state of gun control in the US. With three school-shootings in the space of a week, I think the US has to do some serious thinking about their stance on guns. They won't, really, but I think they should. The juxtaposition of talking about gun-control after having read so much about new-right political theory is slightly amusing, I know. But I am not a member of the right, old or new, and I do believe that certain rights have to be given up for the betterment of society. No man in America really needs 600 rounds of ammunition, or the guns to use them, especially when his use for them is to shoot six-year-old girls (their age is really almost a moot point, actually - they were people put at his mercy). I realize that the issue is not so straight forward as I would see it. I just happen to have certain beliefs regarding social responsibility, that's all. Consequently, you don't see the number of gun deaths in countries where gun ownership is heavily restricted. Say what you want about how it's the person who kills, not the gun. I'd say the gun helps.

Music has varied widely, but I must say that I'm always pleased to be reminded of how much I love Of Montreal. And, while we're at it, I feel I should mention Jonathan Richman, whose album "Her Mystery Not Of High Heels and Eye Shadow," I hadn't listened to in a long time and who will be performing here soon. I'm trying to decided if I can spend the money on that show.

No comments: