Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In Which I Make An Attempt At Being A Good Sport

In an effort to appear as though I don't find this place insufferable, I've decided not to focus on the continuing bank account difficulties, or the great lengths I went to in order to buy notebooks, or the high incidence of mean bus drivers (nor the incidence of insolent 11-year-olds on buses who treat you rudely), or the oddly small refrigerator that's meant to hold food for nine or ten people (all cooking for themselves), or the fact that I may have broken my foot.

Instead...

Today I saw a free lunch-time concert at St. Martin-In-The-Fields. Three sopranos sang songs to piano accompaniment in the eighteenth-century church. Prior to the show, Kelli and I ate lunch at the Cafe in the Crypt. The food was good and I suppose it was cheap by London standards. And it worked out because the concert was free and we sort of rode the bus for free on our way there. I'd like to make the free lunch-time concert series a habit, though. Also, student-priced tickets for the evening shows there are not outrageous (six quid (a term I use simply because I cannot remember how to get the pound sign on my computer)).

To further confound the money sign issue: I bought a computer printer today for 20 quid, which will be shared with Joedi, Karis, and Kelli. I just need the usb plug to make it work.

Monday saw my first class: a seminar for Theories and Actors of the Policy Process (TAPP). My professor is an adorable Italian man who speaks very fast. Tomorrow I have lectures for my research methods class as well as TAPP. I'm not so much excited as I am just wanting to finally get this thing going. I feel as though I've been here for a long time and I've done nothing. The anticipation is stressing me out.

Music: various arias and songs by Verdi, Puccini, Strauss, and Bizet.

And for some slightly dark entertainment...

No comments: