Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A Bank By Any Other Name...

This is a quaint land where very little is actually straight forward. Even the locals get confused by, say, their course outlines, or how to apply for banks, or how to catch the buses. Which makes me feel less ridiculous.

Yesterday I had one hell of a time trying to figure out how my terms are organized. I figured out what a reading week was (a week you're given off, but are given tons of extra work anyway - great), and I'm starting to piece together an idea of how I can get my texts. However, I'm continuously plagued by doubts about my being able to handle the academic rigor. I can reassure myself that I was accepted here for a reason. On top of that, my next-door-floor-mate told me that you had to be a serious idiot to fail out of here. However, hearing that from someone who did her undergraduate course work at Cambridge negates a bit of that reassuring feeling.

And today, Karis and I attempted to open bank accounts at Nat West. Certain we had all the correct documents, we headed in, filled in the complicated applications, and waited quite a long time to be seen; whereupon we were told that our documents proving our residence were not addressed correctly - we needed documents addressed directly to Nat West, rather than "to whom it may concern." By the way, every other bank would have accepted our documents. The people at Nat West even suggested we try Barclay's (apparently they didn't want our business all that much). However, Nat West had the plan we wanted, without any frigging monthly fees or any other complicated messes. So I suppose tomorrow we're going back and trying again, hopefully with the right documents in hand.


Music: I've turned itunes on to party shuffle, and the current track, which appears untitled in my playlist, is a groovy sort of Price Is Right piece. I thought about changing it, but it's actually quite a lot of fun.

Look at my Elephant!

2 comments:

The Narrator said...

Why does your elephant have two trunks?

Hayley said...

Tusks, Brother. Tusks. Or one tusk, really. The other one was taken in a hunting accident in '85.