Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Effect of Green Space on the Spirit

The bank thing didn't happen today. I just never got around to it. Yesterday, when I'd gone to collect my documents (with the proper information) I was told they'd never received my request. A lady said "we don't have a Gaines." And another lady piped up, "I never got any Gaines." And the first lady said, "Who'd you give your name to?" And because the guy I'd given my name to was standing right next to me sorting mail into the mail slots, and because he'd been so nice, and because I didn't want to sound exactly accusatory, I sort of mumbled something and the lady said, "was it a man?" I said yes, and she replied by giving me an oh-see-we-don't-do-that- around-here-because-the-guys-will-just-lose-it sort of look. So I resubmitted my name and then just never got around to picking it up today. There's always tomorrow, I guess.

I didn't do much today other than take a long walk through Regent's Park, of which I only saw a fraction. Having a giant park so close is quite a luxury, and it's a really nice place to visit. I walked through the playing fields and headed toward the bird sanctuary, then eventually made my way to the rose gardens, which I believe are the Queen Mary's Gardens. Something. Click on the flickr tag on the right for some really nice pictures of roses, fountains, and the renegade, V-For-Vendetta-style swans.

But it has yet to turn cold here, though it's not been exactly warm. Mid 60's, generally. Some days it's cloudy and actually quite rainy. Others it's brilliantly beautiful. There's a small part of me that's hoping for snow, so Karis (from LA) and Matt (from Sydney) can get a good dose of that. But not in a cruel way. More of a learning / gaining experience way.

Music ranged from Spoon's Gimme Fiction to Rufus Wainwright's Poses.

It's raining. But look at the sun anyway.

No comments: