Saturday, September 23, 2006

In Which I Leave Home For Another Land And Face Great Emotional Upheaval

I left late Tuesday night and arrived in London for a year long masters program in public policy at the University College London. My cab ride from the airport was ungodly long and astoundingly expensive, but it was easier than taking the tube with two painfully large suitcases.

Having arrived at my university residence in Camden I was directed to my room (though I was given the wrong keys) and introduced to the dungeon-like quarters I will call home for the next year. The room is about three feet by four, or something similar - I've always been bad at estimating these things.

I've met several people, mostly on my floor, and (oddly) mostly Americans. Karis and Joedi live across the hall and Kelli lives in another wing. Crazy of all crazies - I discovered yesterday that an old Michigan State Hillel acquaintence of mine lives in my hall as well. Today was Rosh Hashana and I neglected to attend shul, thus giving the impression that I am the worst Jew in the world. Which is more or less accurate.

Thursday and Friday were spent orienting myself with the school. There were speeches and enrollment forms, and long lines, and lots of international students. Tiring, but fulfilling.

And today I headed out to Portobello Road, my old stomping grounds. Karis and Kelli came along and we all had veggie food from the Grain Shop and walked along the jam-packed street market looking at cheap goods and delicious fruit and veg.

As we're all getting ready to head out for a drink at a near-by pub, I'll leave you here with this fun bit (from The Areas Of My Expertise): 700 Hobo Names, illustrated.

1 comment:

The Narrator said...

Atta girl!