Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Salmon Spread to Pick You Up



Today was relaxing. I made my way to the Sainsbury's down the street and bought a few necessaries: bread, soup, apples, raisins, and peanut butter. The peanut butter almost caused a melt-down on my part, though.

I realize peanut butter is not particularly popular outside of the US. However, I'd found it in London before and so was certain that a Sainsbury's as giant as the one down my street would have some. I walked down the spreads isle, didn't see it, and continued on, hoping it would appear somewhere else in the store. It didn't. I headed back to the spreads and still didn't see it. However, I did see multiple varieties of spreadable meats, such as salmon, shrimp and crab, chicken, beef. Spreadable. Beef in a pot, they call it. Would it be cultural insensitivity to express disgust at this British spread food? Would I offend? Does one take into account the offense experienced at the sight of spreadable meats?

No bother. I found the peanut butter on the bottom shelves under the Nutella. But rethink your respect for a people who spread their meats as one would a jam or jelly.

As for the bunny sign, that was posted on Gordon Street outside of my university. I don't know why it says bunny. But London's a really weird place.

Music I've been listening to: Tony made me several mixed cd's before I left and have listened to them mostly. However, Yo La Tengo recently released a new album and it's really fantastic. The sound is slightly more upbeat, a little fuller due to the addition of horns on many tracks. And the first track is the most listenable of any first tracks on a Yo La Tengo album. Don't be afraid. Give it a try.

No comments: